This recipe came from a friend when we were newlyweds and pinching our pennies. I felt like I could make it out of almost nothing, and although it isn’t very pretty, it tastes delicious! –Mellyn Continue reading
This recipe is an adaptation of one I found several years ago on the Betty Crocker website. It’s sort of…well…sweet and spicy at the same time – a nice variation on traditional spaghetti sauce. I served mine over a layer of pasta covered by a layer of fresh spinach. Yum! –Mellyn
When I was a new stay-at-home mom, a friend fixed this recipe for lunch. Twelve years later, I still think it’s the best taco soup I’ve ever eaten! The original calls for 1 pound of ground beef. When I make it with meat, I usually double the other ingredients so we have leftovers. –Mellyn
This sauce is jam packed with protein and flavor. The ingredients are so basic that it is easy to always have the things I need on hand to make a quick and delicious meal. Continue reading
This chili comes together quickly. Especially since I have no need to rehydrate my ground beef or onion before mixing. It cuts down on my prep time and my think ahead time. This is my husbands favorite chili. Continue reading
This is an old recipe from my mother-in-law. Most of the original measurements were “to taste.” The amounts listed here are what my family likes.
Recipe from Karen Continue reading
–From Julia L.
This tomato soup is to die for! No one would ever guess it’s food storage! It’s even better left over, just be careful not to let it reach boiling or the cream will curdle. This is another favorite that I don’t store as part of my 19. Instead, I use it to rotate diced tomatoes. –Mellyn
- 4 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 7.5-ounce cans table cream
- pepper, to taste
- Combine everything except the table cream. Let simmer for an hour OR put it in the crockpot for 4 or 5 hours. Sometimes we blend some or all of the tomatoes for a creamier texture.
- Add soda and cream just before serving.
- Top with black pepper, to taste.
- Try not to slurp, and try to resist the temptation to lick out the bowl!