I’m a HUGE fan of cold cereal, but over the last couple of years I’ve been working on reducing the junk in our diet. I’ve been playing around with granola for awhile now –trying to find a recipe that fills the void I feel when we have no cold cereal in the house. This one is my current favorite…subject to change next week when I make a new batch! –Mellyn
My friend, Julie, incorporates a lot of raw foods into her diet. When I asked her what she eats for fun, she shared the idea of these little energy bites. I was, quite honestly, astounded at how fast they are to make and how good the results are. It’s like candy! I like to keep a stash in my fridge for a late afternoon pick-me-up or an after-dinner treat. –Mellyn
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup flax seed (I like it best when it’s blended up)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or almonds
- Mix together.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on a small cookie sheet.
- Put in the refrigerator until balls are firm enough to be moved to a bag.
To add some variety to my storage, I like to have some meals that are served “cold.” This original creation whips up in minutes and has a delightful, fresh taste that’s a contrast to the usual hot meals we associate with food storage. The curry adds a nice flavor, and I love the sweet from the mandarins and craisins. –Mellyn