Sweet, tangy and on the edge of too sour, this pie is my absolute favorite for Thanksgiving!
- 1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe or in a non-emergency, buy one!)
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 6 tablespoons powdered eggs**
- 1/2 cup water — plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Prick pie shell with a fork so it doesn’t bubble, and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt and hot water in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Put egg powder in a medium-sized bowl. Add water and whisk until egg powder is dissolved. Slowly, add hot cornstarch mixture to egg mixture. I do this by putting my whisk in the cornstarch mixture and then back in the egg mixture. After a few “whisks,” I return it to the cornstarch for more. Add at least half of the hot cornstarch mixture into the egg mixture slowly or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs in the middle of your lemon pie. Ugh!
- Put combined mixture back into saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and and 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Pour into cooked pie shell.
- Cool and refrigerate until ready to eat!
** If you’re using fresh eggs today, substitute 3 egg yolks for the egg powder and 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp water.
© 2011, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.