I adapted this recipe from one my roommate, Mary S., used to make when we were in college! Served with vanilla ice cream, it’ll satisfy all your deep-seated chocolate and sweet cravings! The beans make the top a bit crustier than I remember, but it was still the pie my kids devoured first. –Mellyn
- 2 tablespoons navy bean flour*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup egg powder — beaten**
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips***
- 1 pie crust (9 inch)
- Whisk 1/2 cup water into navy bean flour in a large measuring cup or bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and whisk again. Repeat 3 times, keeping a careful watch! Sometimes the beans try to boil over. The resulting mixture should be thick, like what you’d get from blending a can of beans.
- Add egg powder to 6 Tablespoons water and whisk until powder is dissolved.
- Combine bean mixture and egg mixture. Add vanilla, sugar and flour. Stir well, until creamy. Add chocolate chips.
- Pour into pie shell. Cover edges of crust with foil to prevent them from burning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, removing foil for the last 10 minutes or so.
*I know, more beans! I’m just so curious now…you can also use 1/2 cup canned navy beans blended with the liquid OR 1/2 cup butter.
**If you’d like to use fresh eggs today, replace the egg powder and 6 Tablespoons of water with 2 eggs.
***We wondered how it would taste with milk chocolate chips…let us know if you try it!
© 2011, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.