Thick and tangy, this tomato-based beef stew has long been one of our family favorites. We often use potatoes in place of the barley, and our favorite way to serve it is in a bread bowl. It’s perfect for dipping and delicious before trick-or-treating with these parmesan cheese rolls or bowls. –Mellyn
- 2 12-ounce cans beef, drained
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup dehydrated carrots
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups water
- Put beef, barley and carrots in a crockpot.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour them over beef, barley and carrots.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or until carrots and barley are soft.
- This makes a thick, rich stew. If you like it thinner, just add more water.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.