–From the recipes of Norma L.
I have great memories of making this with my aunt when I was a wee one. She’d put the graham crackers in a ziplock bag, and let me dance all over them to make the crumbs. Now my kids beg to do the same thing! –MellynYield: 12 servings
- 1 3/4 cups evaporated milk (this is slightly more than a 12-ounce can)
- 3 ounces lemon-flavored gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 whole graham crackers (the big sheets)
- Put evaporated milk into a mixing bowl and freeze until ice crystals start to form.
- Dissolve Jell-O in hot water and chill until partially set.
- Whip the Jell-O until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and sugar to Jell-O mixture, and beat some more.
- Whip milk until it whips up like whip cream.
- Fold milk mixture into Jell-O mixture, and gently mix until well combined.
- Crunch crackers (you can use a rolling pin or the method described above…which is much more fun!)
- Set aside about 1/3 cup of crackers for topping, and put the rest of the cracker crumbs in the bottom of a 9×13″ pan. Spread around until level.
- Put lemon filling over crumb layer. Top with remaining crumbs and chill 3-4 hours or overnight before serving.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.