My dear friend, Valeria, first introduced me to this sweet bread when our family lived in South Florida. She says you can tell it’s a Brazilian recipe because of the sweetened condensed milk — a Brazilian favorite. The fact that it only requires a few ingredients makes it one of my favorites, too! We love these served warm at breakfast time. –Mellyn
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of warm water
- 1/2 cup egg powder**
- 3/4 cup water**
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 4 cups of flour or until reaches bread consistency (I used about 6 cups)
- Add milk, water, egg powder and additional water in the blender for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour and yeast in a bowl, and pour blender contents on top.
- Mix together, adding more flour if necessary.
- Let rise for about an hour or until doubled. (You can skip this first rise, but the bread won’t be as soft.)
- Shape into rolls or bread — a braid is really pretty.
- Let rise again for 20-30 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle some sugar on top before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until top of bread is lightly browned.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.