I tried off and on for years to make something we considered edible in the beans and rice category, and failed miserably every time. But when our family lived in Florida, a friend from the Dominican Republic came over and taught me to make her black beans and rice, along with a delicious chicken. Slowly, her recipe morphed into one that is totally shelf stable and our family loves it! –Mellyn
Yield: About 6 servings
- 1 cup dry beans – COOKED (about 3 cups)
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 ½ cups water
- Add oregano, onion, tomato paste, garlic and rest of spices to a large skillet.
- Mix and add a little water and the bouillon cubes.
- Add rest of the water and the COOKED beans.
- Cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally to keep beans from sticking.
- It’s finished when the consistency of sauce around the beans is creamy. I usually cook it for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over rice. We love this with sliced avocados and slices of baked sweet potato.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.