We have a favorite baked bean recipe that uses canned pork and beans. This work-in-progress version is my attempt to use dry beans instead of canned ones, without sacrificing the flavor we love. I’ll continue to update it as I refine it! Thoughts or suggestions are welcome!–Mellyn
- 1 cup dry navy beans
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- Quick soak navy beans –cover with water, bring to a boil, cover and let stand for one hour.
- At the end of an hour, drain off water and cover with fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to one hour. (Navy beans are little, so they cook relatively quickly.)
- Drain beans again and place in cast iron skillet.
- Add bacon, mustard, ketchup and brown sugar and stir well.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.