–From Andrea M.
Andrea shared this recipe with us last year when we were literally drowning in zucchini! It quickly became a family favorite. By changing the kind of beans and veggies you use, this can always look like a new dish. –Mellyn
Yield: 9×13 pan
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion chopped ( or 1 Tablespoon onion powder)
- 1 green pepper (1 cup freeze dried, rehydrated)
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1-2 lbs yellow squash sliced (or 6-8 cups of freeze-dried zucchini, rehydrated)
- any other veggies you want to get rid of (no one will notice!)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 15-ounce can tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cans or 3 cups black beans (I didn’t have any cooked black beans the day I made this, so I used seasoned chili beans, and they were awesome!)
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (or 2 13-ounce cans of chicken, drained)
- About 15 corn tortillas (you could subsitute Robin’scorn tortilla recipe here, if desired)
- oil, if desired, to dip tortillas in (this seems to help them stay together and not dissolve in the casserole, but it’s not essential)
- 2 cups of cheese, if desired (frozen or freeze-dried work well here)
- In a skillet, combine oil, onion, green pepper, jalapeno, garlic, zucchini or squash and any other veggies you’re wanting to get rid of (that are fresh).
- Cover and let steam.
- When the skillet veggies are soft add cumin, salsa, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, beans and chicken
- In a 9×13 dish (greased or with tomato juice on the bottom to prevent sticking), lay about 5 corn tortillas.
- Cover with 1/2 the skillet mixture and 1 cup of cheese.
- Add 5 more corn tortillas.
- Cover with the rest of the veggies and 1 cup of cheese and top with remaining tortillas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 min.
- Serve with sour cream, avocados, olives, green onions or cheese, if desired.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.