This is one of my favorite basic recipes. I use the same “formula” to create low-sugar fruit sauces out of blueberries, strawberries, mandarin oranges, peaches or anything else that sounds appealing! The uses for this sauce are equally diverse. We eat it most often on pancakes or waffles, but this week I’ll show you how to use it to dress up a plain chocolate cake, as well. –Mellyn
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh, frozen or re-hydrated freeze-dried strawberries all work well!)
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and water together in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is smooth and starting to boil.
- Boil and stir for about 30 seconds. Add strawberries and cook until fruit is soft –about 3-5 minutes.
- Use on pancakes or waffles, in crepes, over cake or anywhere else that’s crying out for strawberries!
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.