My husband has high cholesterol, so over the years, I’ve learned to cook with more beans and less red meat. A couple of years ago, we received a handout that had a recipe for bean burgers that was surprisingly good. This is our version, since of course we had to change it a bit. My older daughter, who detests real hamburgers, loves these! –Mellyn
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups dry refried beans from the LDS cannery
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon
- Heat water and add refried beans. Let stand until thick.
- Add rice, wheat germ, onion powder and beef bouillon to refried bean mixture.
- Mix well and shape the same way you would hamburger patties.
- Cook on a griddle or skillet sprayed with oil. Flip when golden brown.
- Serve as you would a hamburger — with ketchup, mustard, pickles and whatever other condiments your family enjoys.
**You can also make these with canned refried beans or 2 cups of mashed beans that you’ve cooked yourself.
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.