My friend, Jane, made the most delicious cake that she would cut in half and fill with jam. This recipe was inspired by her! To me, the texture (due to the beans) is between regular cake and angel food cake. I think it’s especially delicious topped with a pudding-cream filling and fresh strawberries (in non-emergency times, of course) In emergencies we’ll just have to make due with jam and buttercream frosting! –Mellyn
Yield : 24
- 2 tablespoons lentil or white navy bean flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder – cannery
- 4 tablespoons egg powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- vanilla frosting (you can make it from scratch or buy a can)
- 1/2-3/4 cups your favorite jam or jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk lentil or navy bean flour into 1/2 cup water. Microwave 30 seconds, stir and repeat the process 4 times, for a total of 2 minutes. The resulting mixture will resemble a can of pureed navy beans.**
- In the meantime, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and dry milk powder in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg powder into remaining water until smooth.
- Add to mixing bowl, along with vanilla.
- Mix batter until smooth.
- I poured mine into a cupcake mold that has cups that look like little bundt pans. You can also use cupcake holders. I like the bundt pans because they basically make a cupcake with a hole in the middle that can be filled with jam, cream, frosting or whatever yummy thing you can think of!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Frost or decorate with frosting and jam
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.