–From Kristen K.
Perfect for picnics and potlucks, these peanut butter bars are sure to please! Kristen used to bring them to all of our big gatherings and whenever our family makes them now, we think of her.
I couldn’t resist playing with the recipe just a little. I had good results cutting back the sugar and replacing some of the butter with (surprise!) beans. With the sweet, creamy frosting on top, my family didn’t even notice! –Mellyn
Yield: 48 bars
For Cookie Layer:
- 1 1/8 cups butter, softened — I used 10 T of butter and replaced the rest with 2 Tbsp white navy bean flour and 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/8 cups sugar — I used 3/4 cup
- 1 1/8 cups brown sugar, packed — I used 3/4 cup
- 1 1/8 cups peanut butter
- 3 eggs — I left them out, and there was no change in taste or texture, but they were a tad more crumbly***
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/8 cups oatmeal
- Combine the butter, sugars, peanut butter and eggs (if desired) until creamy. If you’re using beans in place of part of the butter, put 2 Tbsp navy bean flour in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Add 1/2 cup water and whisk until smooth. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat three times, for a total of 2 minutes.**
- Add salt, soda, vanilla, flour and oatmeal.
- Mix well.
- Press into a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter — softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Beat until color becomes a light brown and looks fluffy.
- Frost bars and serve!
© 2012, Real Women Store Grub. All rights reserved. Content may be shared or reposted as long as credit and link to original post are provided.